Are you part of a book club?
Are you thinking of introducing your group to Afton Morrison?
Please feel free to contact me if:
- You’d like to ask about group (bulk) pricing.
- You’d like to invite me to join your discussion, either in-person or via Skype.
Yes, I’d be open to both points one and two.
You might also wish to consider asking your local libraries to carry The Afton Morrison Series: Books 1 2 3 & 4, the complete series collection in paperback format.
In the meantime, I’ve put together some discussion questions here for each of the four books in the series, as well as some pertaining to the series as a whole.
I may update or add to this list over time, but there should be enough here, for now, to get a good discussion going.
>> WARNING! POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD! <<
Go Home, Afton
- Afton debates whether or not she is a true psychopath. Is she?
- Afton claims to dislike children, yet goes out of her way to be kind to one. Why?
- Is Afton a good role model to Kim? Why or why not?
- From the perspective of planning the perfect murder, which details did Afton get right? Which details did she get wrong?
- Tia claims that, somewhere inside Afton, is a sweet girl. Is Tia right?
- Why are order, cleanliness, and routine so important to Afton?
See You Soon, Afton
- With a name in hand, why does it never occur to Afton to Google her tormentor?
- Afton dreams of her mother mutilating herself. What is the significance of this?
- What are Jared’s motivations for helping Afton? If he didn’t have feelings for her, would he abandon her?
- Surveillance is a common theme throughout this series. What measures could Afton take to be less conspicuous?
- The less control Afton feels over her situation, the more erratic her behavior becomes. Why is this important?
Nice Try, Afton
- Would you describe Banks as a protagonist or an antagonist?
- Why does Afton hesitate to kill Clara? Why does Chris insist upon it? And why does Tia later switch sides?
- Does Ray’s kidney surgery influence how Afton feels about him?
- Is evil a matter of choice or disposition?
- What is the significance of Afton attempting to murder Animus?
- What is the significance of the loss of Twinkie?
- Through studying her reflection and selecting the perfect kill suit, Afton does plenty of soul-searching. Who is the real Afton Morrison?
- Ray and Clara make a startling admission about their adoptive parents. Were there clues leading up to this?
Time’s Up, Afton
- Which callbacks to Go Home, Afton did you catch, particularly in the early chapters?
- Chris has a strong reaction to seeing Afton at his door. Is he justified in wanting space from her?
- Afton spills guts to a comatose Jared. Are her sentiments authentic? If not, why not?
- Prior to his demise, Shane leaves a voicemail for one of his surviving co-criminals, incriminating Afton. What consequences might this have?
- Afton laments that men get to be heroes, while women are expected “to embrace cruelty and injustice with tenderness and compassion.” Agree or disagree?
- Do you consider Afton a feminist? Why or why not?
- Would you think differently of Afton’s actions if she were male?
The Afton Morrison Series … and Beyond!
- Which of Afton’s murders were justified? Which were not?
- Will Afton ever return to Wakefield? Why or why not? And why did she really return to Wakefield after college?
- Does Afton kill to make the world a better place, or simply because she wants to?
- What will Chris do with Afton’s handwritten confession letter?
- Was Ray who we thought he was? If not, is it possible that he was a pawn in a much larger game? How does his biological father fit into this?
- What, if anything, will Afton do with the key that Clara ingested?
- If Ray had accomplices, as he suggests, why were they all so interested in Afton?
- The series is rampant with shadow imagery, often surrounding Ray. In what ways do shadows reflect what’s in Afton’s heart?
- Review this complete calendar of events with your group. How does this timeline compare to what you envisioned as a reader?